Alicia keys celebrate the vault album

Dear Fam,

Where were you 10 years ago? Who were you and where did you live? What did you dream about? Wish for? Hope for? What relationship were you in and how did you dress? 😉 Were you totally different?

That’s what I’d like to do today, stop and reflect about the fact that As I Am was released to the world 10 years ago! Crazy, right??? It feels like yesterday to me! These songs are still some of my favorites to perform live and hear that y’all are still vibin’ to. Some say this is my best album……I love it just as much as you do!

I’m thinking about how different my life was then. I had already been in the music game since I was 18, so I remember this being a really transitional time for me. I was looking for more and looking for more of a way to connect to myself. This was the time in my life that I would say I’d learned how to become “a machine” and I really needed to unlearn that mentality. I remember feeling extremely overwhelmed and needing to get away and I took that first very important trip to Egypt that started to change the way I saw things, and when I came back I began to write this album, As I Am. I was more open to collaborations and I was ready to really open up about what I was going through. I also remember that my grandmother, my beloved Nana, was very sick at this time, and that was a difficult transition that I would have to deal with. Songs like “Like You’ll Never See Me Again” and “Tell You Something” were written in direct reaction to what was happening in my life. It was a deep time in my life, and I think that is what you can hear pouring out of this album.

To celebrate the day and reflect, I wanted to give you a special glimpse into this time of my life and career. First, you’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the “No One” music video! I didn’t even remember we did this so this is jewel!! 😉 So many people came together to make this video a success, from the director and my long-time music partner, Kerry “Krucial” Brothers (the other half of KrucialKeys), and DJ Dirty Harry (amazing DJ and co-producer on the song), to my make-up artist Rene and hair stylist Tippi. My wardrobe stylist and my long-time friend, WIZ Wauri Vice. My movement coach, Tanisha Scott, and Sam Lecca, who helped bring the vision together. To all of my amazing fam who brought their great energy and stood out in the rain for hours with us! See what I mean in the video series below:

I also wanted you to see what it was like in the studio while we were recording the music. I had the opportunity to work with so many incredible musicians who really made these songs soar! On songs like “I Need You,” these horn players really helped bring what we wrote to life! Big love to the magnificent Harold Lilly, Mark Batson and Krucial who wrote this special song with me. This is absolutely one of my favorite songs of all time that I’ve created. Usually it’s hard to pick, but this is a super special one! Check out this video clip and my original hand-written lyrics for the song:


Finally, I have one more thing I really think you’ll LOVE!!!!! 😉 This is one of the VERY first songs I came back from Egypt and wrote. Maybe it was the second song, the first one had a whole Egyptian vibe, I’ll play that for you one day too. 😉 But this one really started to create the sound that As I Am has. We were experimenting with a lot of keyboards and sounds and styles of recording, and we were all about breaking boundaries and writing things in new ways. So please enjoy one of my favorite unreleased songs, “When You Were Gone.” <3



Thanks for celebrating with me today, fam. I hope you’ve enjoyed this look at the making of As I Am. I know that I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for you! Seriously! You are sooo special to me, I wake up every morning feeling blessed that we are on this journey together, that we know each other and relate to each other and continue to grow together! It’s been so amazing, and the most incredible part is that the next experience is almost ready for you!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! (sneak peak!!!) So, I just want to thank you with all my heart for the genuine love you have for me. What a wild ride! So ready for more!!!

I’ll be sending more updates for you here in The Vault in the coming months. If you’ve liked exploring but you aren’t already a member, be sure to sign up HERE for unlimited access to my world 😉 Cause after 24 hours today….poof it’s gone 😉

Forever Love and forever light,

Your homie 4 life

Alicia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUHARI BY A CORPS MEMBER

I will cook and wash if you marry me, actor tells Dj Cuppy

Olamide in trouble with the federal government